Many people sing, but knowing how to learn to sing to become a singer is a whole different game. It requires dedication and hard work. But above all it requires that you believe you have what it takes to become a professional singer. If you’re just starting off, there are a lot of tips that can lead to quick improvements to your singing. These along with instruction from a professional voice coach can get you well on your way to achieving your dream.
Here are a few important tips to get you started on an effective singing training program.
- Keeping your body well-hydrated by drinking plenty of water is an extremely important basic step in how to learn to sing. The vocal cords require lubrication to perform at their best and avoid injury. Water is absolutely necessary for proper lubrication and you should continue to drink water as you practice singing. A dry mouth will make it nearly impossible to sing your best.
- Make sure you give your body plenty of rest. Vocal exercises are exercise just like lifting weights. Instead of working your biceps or pectorals, you are working your vocal cords and the muscles in your throat and jaw. These muscles require rest to repair themselves just like any other muscles. Professional singers sometimes go to such extremes as not talking the day before a big performance to rest their singing muscles.
- Clothing is another important consideration. When you sing, you must expand and contract the diaphragm muscle as well as the lungs. Tight clothing that restricts this movement will keep you from taking in the air you need to sing properly. Remember, breathing matters more than any other single factor in singing.
- Just as tight clothing will affect your breathing, so will improper posture. Proper alignment of the body will allow you to make the most of your lung capacity and will reduce the strain of having to fight against your own body. Many singers use a posture coach right alongside their singing coach and also practice yoga and Pilates to achieve the best posture possible for how to learn to sing.
- Stay relaxed when you sing. Your body will fight against itself if you are tense and the result will be a strained sound in your voice and the inability to hit extremely low, high or long notes. As you practice singing, constantly check to make sure your muscles are relaxed. Even tension in the legs can affect the voice.
These are just a few basic things you must master for how to learn to sing. Practice each of them as you practice singing and they will soon become second nature.